GLUTEN-FREE, PALEO CARROT CAKE
This grain-free, gluten-free, paleo carrot cake is full of warming spices, healthy fats, smooth vanilla and sweet carrots. It's a simple recipe to throw together that contains neither gluten nor grains and is especially delicious as a cozy treat alongside a cup of tea, or seriously healthy enough to enjoy it for breakfast. You can also get all fancy and layer the cake with frosting and serve as a special dessert at your next paleo or gluten-free themed dinner party.
This cake can be baked in one 8” x 8” pan as we’ve done here, or divide the batter between two 8” round cake pans to make a layered cake that you can frost with your favourite coconut or cashew based icing recipe.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease an 8” x 8” glass baking dish with coconut oil.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together the maple syrup, eggs, cooled coconut oil and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, mix the almond flour, coconut flour, spices, baking powder and salt. Mix in the grated carrots and chopped walnuts.
- Add the wet mixture to the flour mixture, stirring until everything is well incorporated.
- Pour the cake batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 45 minutes and test with a wooden toothpick or skewer to check that it is finished by pushing the toothpick down into the middle of the cake - the toothpick / skewer should come out with no batter stuck to it. Return the cake to the oven for a few more minutes if it still isn’t done. Once finished, let the cake cool for 30 minutes (or longer if needed) before slicing or frosting.